Whether you are living in a bungalow or own a condo in McKinley Hill this major step is a must when it comes to good housekeeping, especially, the moment Mother Ear
th serves our corporal punishment for being poor protectors and preservers of our Planet. Worldwide, we call this ‘punishment’ as Climate Change. According to US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), climate change “refers to any significant change in the measures of climate lasting for an extended period of time.” It means longer droughts, harsher typhoons, more floods, rapid melting of ice glaciers, warmer oceans, and rise of sea levels. The effects are now evident and United Nations (UN) categorized climate change as a global threat.
The obvious evidence is the melting ice sheets of Greenland, Arctic, and Antarctica. Okay, let us not look too far; a recent example is the devastation brought by super typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines last year (locally known as ‘Yolanda’), dubbed as the ‘tropical cyclone perfection’ and destroyed thousands of innocent lives. Perhaps it is a bit too late, but at least World leaders finally gathered at UN Climate Summit last September 24 with one goal in mind: lessen the impact of climate change for the sake of future generations.
The ‘blame game’ is over (it must be) and we should be active proponents in this worldwide campaign. You don’t have to pledge a huge amount for the Climate Change Fund unless you are financially sound. In our own little ways we could help by going Green right inside our homes. We are not new to this Green stuff but still, we just, well, shrug it off. We need to attend on much urgent things and it will be just a waste of time to revive the fainting pulse of our Planet. We only need to focus on our current issues such as putting food on our plates. Right, the impact of our carelessness will not affect future generations. The future we are talking about includes our children and grandchildren and so on. Yep, there is no need to worry and care.
Are we on the same boat now? Good. It is not that hard to develop Green habits, really, because we are just procrastinating a bit. The Green tips below will not only save Mother Earth but money as well, it will be a smart home challenge, let’s start now.
- Plants – as we build all sorts of establishments in every vacant lot we see, it will be fair if we put plants around the area, too. In case you are not aware, plants or collectively known as forests are the ‘lungs’ of our Planet.
- CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs) – throw away those incandescent lighting fixtures and switch to energy saving CFLs. they last longer and lessen carbon footprint. Don’t forget our sun as a natural daylight source too.
- Minimal use of plastics – one of the reasons for flooding is the ever growing garbage disposal problem. We can’t avoid using plastic for frozen goods but once it is out of the bag transfer it to glass containers before putting it in your freezer.
- Maximize fridge storage – the more you put inside your fridge the less energy it needs to produce. A neat cheap trick is store water jugs or bottles if you can’t afford stocking it up.
- Energy Star – buy only appliances marked with Energy Star.
- Switch off – when not in use, switch it off. Use a power strip to save 10% of electricity because even your device is off, if it is directly plugged in the socket of your wall, it will still eat up power.
What else? Reduce the use of toilet paper. Buy fruits and vegetables from your local market. Lastly, don’t forget to turn off that faucet.
Related Articles :